All-Ireland Schools Senior ‘B’ Football Championship Semi-Final (Paddy Drummond Cup): Roscommon CBS V St Patrick’s GS, Downpatrick – The Irish News – March 28 2019

Red High’s All-Ireland dream dies against CBS Roscommon

From Daire Walsh at Belfield

Masita Paddy Drummond Cup semi-final: Roscommon CBS 1-12 St Patrick’s, Downpatrick 1-6

ST Patrick’s Grammar School, Downpatrick’s All-Ireland Schools Senior B Football Championship campaign came to an end at the hands of an impressive Roscommon CBS at UCD last night.

After an encouraging start to the contest, the Ulster champions were reined in by their western counterparts – who will now face Ashbourne Community College in the forthcoming Paddy Drummond Cup showpiece.

Both teams appeared to be evenly-matched on paper, but it was the Red High who opened the scoring through Ruairi O’Hare’s second-minute free.

Eager to stamp his authority on the play, the dependable Mourne midfielder added a brace of points in quick succession to create some early daylight between the teams.

Given the significance of the game, it was understandable that Roscommon experienced some early nerves at the south Dublin venue.

However, they subsequently announced their arrival with a devastating counter-attack into the St Patrick’s half.

Following a lung-bursting break from Tim Lambe, McGahon was released on the left-hand side. Although his initial flicked effort was turned away by Downpatrick netminder Eoin Maginn, he made no mistake off a rebounded strike.

As a result, the confidence levels of CBS started to soar. The raiding Jack Lohan superbly split the posts on the run, while centre-forward Ciaran Lawless added a two-point salvo to give the Rossies some much-needed momentum.

With the Red High becoming increasingly wasteful in possession – they registered five wides in the opening period – Roscommon looked to take full advantage.

Keith Doyle and Liam Ormsby (free) contributed points in the 23rd and 25th minutes respectively, before Tim Prenter reduced the Downpatrick deficit in time for the interval (1-5 to 0-4).

The northerners still had plenty to play for and it took an outstanding Colin Walsh block to deny inside forward Ruairi Quinn on the resumption. Nevertheless, it was Roscommon who continued to possess the clinical edge in attack.

Richard Walsh fired over at a tight-angle in the 33rd-minute –in advance of additional points courtesy of James Fitzpatrick and the increasingly-influential Lawless. In spite of their struggles, Pat’s received a potential lifeline inside the final-quarter.

O’Hare was switched to full-forward midway through the half and this decision paid rich dividends for the Downpatrick management.

He gathered possession inside the Roscommon cover and unleashed an unstoppable shot beyond the reach of goalkeeper Gustavo Rodrigues.

This proved to be a false dawn for the Red High, though, as determined Roscommon substitute Charlie Carthy found the target with just nine minutes remaining on the clock.

His second point off the bench was preceded by a similar score from wing-back Cian Murray and Lawless effectively sealed their place in the final with his fourth of the evening.

Downpatrick responded through a late O’Hare brace, but it was never going to be enough to spoil the Roscommon CBS party.

Roscommon CBS: G Rodrigues; J Lohan (0-1), C Walsh, J Martin, C Glennon, J Browne, C Murray (0-1); A Looby, K Doyle (0-1); R Walsh (0-1), C Lawless (0-4 frees), T Lambe; L Ormsby (0-1, free), J Fitzpatrick (0-1), J McGahon (1-0).

Subs: C Carthy (0-2) for Ormsby (44), O Walsh for Lambe (62).

St Patrick’s GS, Downpatrick: E Maginn; T Carson, E Rooney, J Harbinson; N Laverty, R Murphy, P McMullan; T Smyth, R O’Hare (1-5, 0-5 frees); C Watson, B Boyd, O Cunningham; R Conor, R Quinn, T Prenter (0-1).

Subs: C Murray for Cunningham (41), D Donaldson for Quinn (46), T Savage for Watson (56).

Referee: S Mulhare (Louth)

This entry was posted in Schools GAA. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.