Kehoe Cup: Fingal V DCU – The Irish Independent – January 23 2012

Kent finds his range to help DCU crush Fingal

DCU 2-22 FINGAL 2-10

Monday January 23 2012

Goals in either half from David Reidy and Wes O’Brien, as well as a 0-11 haul from Emmet Kent, proved decisive in Swords yesterday, as DCU easily secured their place in the second round at the expense of an overwhelmed Fingal.

The students dominated the early stages thanks to points from Kent (two), JJ Lennon and Sean McGrath. Fingal did get a lifeline when centre-forward Martin Ormond’s free went all the way to the DCU net 10 minutes in, but Reidy responded with a goal just a minute later, and DCU took a 1-11 to 1-4 lead into the break.

DCU continued to dominate after the restart, and they moved into a 13-point lead following scores from Kent, O’Brien and McGrath, before O’Brien registered his side’s second major on 53 minutes.

Ormond did get a second goal from a placed ball three minutes later, which was subsequently added to by points from himself and Dillon, but DCU efforts from Kent (two), Cullen and Gavin Muldoon gave them a big cushion, as Fingal lost Peter Balfe to a late red card.

SCORERS — DCU: E Kent 0-11 (9f, 1 ’65’), W O’Brien 1-3, D Reidy 1-0, J Cullen, C Foley, S McGrath 0-2 each, JJ Lennon, G Muldoon 0-1 each. Fingal: M Ormond 2-4 (2-4f), G Dillon 0-3, C Corcoran, A Crean, R McGarry (f) 0-1 each.

DCU — B McCormack; C Woodgate, W Eviston, J Ging; A Moran, A Griffith, A Cash; Q Lynch, JJ Lennon; E Kent, W O’Brien, J Cullen; D Reilly, C Foley, S McGrath. Subs: S Griffith for Cash (53), O O MaoileidIgh for Foley (64), G Muldoon for Hattie (69).

FINGAL — C Harford; A Cullen, D Markey, A Morris; P Balfe, C Corcoran, D Keogh; D Hattie, A Crean; A Richardson, M Ormond, J O’Callaghan; R McGarry, P Daly, G Dillon. Subs: R Mullins for Markey (h-t), M Cussen for Cullen (46), S Boland for Keogh (48), P Coyne for Daly (58).

REF — J Keenan (Wicklow).

This entry was posted in Hurling. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply